5:45 – 7:45 pm
In this hands-on, instructional course we will explore modern crossed-structure bookbinding. The soft-cover books we will create have flexible features that make them ideal for journals and sketchbooks. Participants will make a multi-section book that features exposed spine sewing as a functional and decorative element. Each session builds on the previous content. Please register only if you are able to attend all four sessions.
Lesa Dowd is the Director of Conservation Services at the Newberry and a practitioner of the art of fine bookbinding. She has studied French fine binding technique with Tini Miura and Monique Lallier.
Required: The items listed below can be purchased at most local art stores such as Blick’s Art Supply, Paper Source, or Utrecht Art Supply as well as through many online retailers. Students should bring tools to the first class.
- Pencil/ eraser
- Bone folder
- Metal Ruler (in 1/16” increments)
- X-acto or OLFA knife and extra blades
- Awl (needle punching tool)
- 45° triangle
- Dividers (optional)
- Notebook (for taking notes)
- Your registration cost also includes a materials fee ($25) for text and covering materials and colored linen thread.
- Please make sure to bring all the tools from the materials list to the first class.
This class is part of the Newberry’s Adult Education Seminars Program.
Four sessions, $205 (includes a $25 materials fee).
This class is full and registration has closed. Call (312) 255-3700 to be added to the waitlist.