6 – 7:30 pm
Explore Chicago theater directly with its makers. Each week, a different Chicago-based playwright will discuss one of their plays with the class. Ranging from established works which have had a number of productions, to scripts still in development, participants will gain a glimpse of the creative process and engage directly with playwrights. Guest speakers will include Douglas Post, Jon Steinhagen, Andrew Hinderaker, Arlene Malinowski, and Roger Rueff. We will also read a work in progress by the instructor. Please read Earth and Sky by Douglas Post, for the first session, which will be available electronically. Refer to your registration confirmation for details.
Todd Bauer holds an M.A. in liberal studies from Northwestern University. He is a playwright and director whose work has been staged in Chicago, Washington D.C., and New York.
- Jon Steinhagen: The Next Thing
- Scott T. Barsotti: Jet Black Chevrolet
- Douglas Post: Earth and Sky (can be ordered from www.dramatists.com) ISBN-13: 978-0-8222-0348-3
- Roger Rueff: Hospitality Suite (can be purchased through www.lulu.com) ISBN-13: 9780984468805
- Julie Ganey: Love thy neighbor…till it hurts
- Andrew Hinderaker: Impossible
- Arlene Malinowski: What Does the Sun Sound Like?
- Please note: Instructor will supply all texts, to be distributed electronically, EXCEPT where noted.
Readings for the First Day:
- Please read Earth and Sky by Douglas Post for the first session (can be ordered from www.dramatists.com) ISBN-13: 978-0-8222-0348-3
This class is part of the Newberry’s Adult Education Seminars Program.
Eight sessions, $220.
This class is full and online registration is closed. Please call (312) 255-3700 to be added to the wait list.