The child’s companion and juvenile instructor(London, 1855).
Case AP 200 .C48
Gift of the McCormick Theological Seminary. Cataloged and conserved by a grant from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
The Religious Tract Society was founded in 1799 as a publisher that issued religious tracts throughout England. Its aim was to promote literacy, religion, and appropriate behavior among the “lower classes.” The Society soon added material for children to its publication list, reprinting tracts by Hannah More and other 18th-century writers who composed works for young readers. This early juvenile periodical was issued monthly from 1846 to 1921 and contained stories with a heavy dose of moral instruction along with attractive woodcuts. These tiny little pamphlets were, when they were issued, bound in paper wrappers, and these rarely survived rough treatment. Ours offer a rare example of the original wrappers surviving in an unbound copy.