Last Saturday we were lucky enough to have Dr. Dave McDonald give two lectures at the Newberry. The first lecture discussed Illinois migration patterns and provided a fascinating view of the growth of the State of Illinois - how people arrived here, who they were and where they settled. If you have Illinois ancestors, here are some examples of Newberry resources which might help you with your research:
- Atlas of Historical County Boundaries - plug in a date and see where the boundaries were located when your family arrived in Illinois.
- Lodesky, James D. Polish Pioneers In Illinois,1818-1850. [Bloomington, Ind.] : Xlibris Corp., 2010. Call No: F550.P7 L63 2010
- Meyer, Douglas K. Making The Heartland Quilt: A Geographical History Of Settlement And Migration In Early-nineteenth-century Illinois. Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 2000. Call No.: F545 .M55 2000
- Tolzmann, Don Heinrich,eds. Illinois’ German Heritage. Milford, Ohio : Little Miami Pub. Co., 2005. Call No: F550.G3 I45 2005
- The Newberry has an extensive collection of county histories and maps. Search the catalog for the county you are researching.
In his second talk, Lutherpalians and Presbygationalists, Dave provided a background of the various Christian denominations and discussed how American Protestants often moved between denominations as they moved across the country. The Newberry holds the materials Dave suggested for further reading , plus addition titles you may find helpful.
- . Guide To Church Vital Statistics Records In Illinois. Chicago, Ill. : Illinois Historical Records Survey, Illinois Public Records Project, 1942. Call No.: D 2896 .41
- Hunt, William Chamberlin,eds. Religious Bodies: 1906 …. Washington : Govt. Print. Off., 1910. Call No.: Govt. C 3.5 :R27 (also available online) http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/63923951.html
- Mead, Frank Spencer. Handbook Of Denominations In The United States. Nashville : Abingdon, 1980, c1951.Call No.: Ref BR516.5 .M38 1980
- Piepkorn, Arthur Carl. Profiles In Belief: The Religious Bodies Of The United States And Canada. New York : Harper & Row, 1977-1979.Call No.: BL2530.U6 P53 1977