Group Visits for Classes
The Newberry has an active instruction and outreach program for high school teachers, undergraduates, and graduate students. These visits may include a Newberry orientation and tour, a presentation and hands-on session with items from the Newberry collections, or independent research in the reading rooms.
Since 2008, the Newberry has welcomed thousands of groups for such visits, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate all group visit requests. Newberry-based programs get first priority, and these programs are especially active in January, February, June, July, September, and October. As a result, there are fewer outside group visits available during these months. Staff limitations and space constraints are other factors that might not permit the Newberry to accommodate a particular group visit.
Scheduling Your Visit
- To schedule a visit, fill out the Group Visit Request Form. Please submit this form as soon as you begin to plan for a group visit. A minimum of a two-week notice is required, and not all groups can be accommodated.
- Group visits can be scheduled for a fee of $100. Checks should be made payable to the Newberry Library.
- Group visits last about an hour and may include an orientation and tour, a collection show-and-tell, or independent research in the reading rooms.
- The maximum size for group visits for an orientation and tour is 25. If your group is larger, please ask about the possibilities for accommodating your group in the “Additional information or requests” box on the Group Visit Request Form.
- The maximum size for group visits for a collection presentation is 15. If your group is larger, please ask about the possibilities for accommodating your group in the “Additional information or requests” box on the Group Visit Request Form.
- Six to ten Newberry items may be requested for a collection presentation. A Newberry staff member will be on hand to supervise a collection presentation. Instructors may select the books, manuscripts, or maps to be used, and present the materials to their students, or request assistance from Newberry staff in selecting and presenting the items.
- Instructors who have not used the Newberry are strongly encouraged to make a trip to best prepare for the class visit, especially if they intend to bring their group for a collection presentation.
- Group visits are only available during regular Newberry reading room hours.
- All group members must be at least 14 years old or in the ninth grade.
- The Center for Renaissance Studies serves a consortium of dozens of member universities. Faculty at those universities who would like to bring classes to the Newberry should visit the Renaissance Center Consortium page to find out whom to contact to arrange a visit. The center covers the fee charged by Reader Services for visits on medieval, Renaissance, and early modern topics by classes from consortium institutions.
Day of Your Visit
As part of the group visit, those who do not already have a valid Newberry reader’s card may have the opportunity to Obtain a Reader’s Card for future research at the Newberry. A valid photo ID is required. Research assistance is available in the General Reading Room (second floor) at the Reference Desk for those who want to engage in research after the group visit. Visitors are required to leave coats, large bags, and any food or drink in lockers in the lobby. See Accommodations and Dining for a list of local restaurants.
Further questions? Please call Will Hansen at (312) 255-3527.