The Newberry’s collections contain countless images. Currently, there is no central database or file containing Newberry images. In order to find images appropriate to your research, you must browse through books, manuscript collections, periodicals, sheet music, databases, and other resources. Although we are unable to undertake image research on your behalf, we can help you devise search strategies for images. Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Newberry Research Tips
In order to find items with potential images, please consult the following tools:
- The Newberry’s Online Catalog is the primary tool for identifying and locating resources relevant to your research. Books, maps, periodicals, and manuscripts are listed in this catalog.
- The Newberry holds an estimated 500,000 maps issued separately and in atlases and books. More than 50,000 records for maps, atlases, and literature on the history of cartography are available through the online catalog.
- Manuscripts are under-represented in the online catalog, having been traditionally described with paper finding aids and checklists. To explore the manuscript collections, please consult the online catalog and the Newberry’s Modern Manuscript Collection. The list of modern manuscripts with photographs may be particularly helpful.
- Images of selected items from the Newberry’s collections may be found at the CARLI Digital Collections. Available collections of Newberry images include:
- Edward E. Ayer Digital Collection: Over 4,000 images related to American Indian history and culture from the Edward E. Ayer Collection.
- Pullman Digital Collection: 1,299 Pullman Company car drawings, ca. 1870-1969.
- Daily Life along the CB&Q Railroad: Photographs taken by renowned Depression-era photographers Esther Bubley and Russell Lee in the mid-twentieth century.
- Images of Newberry items are featured in various online exhibits:
- Lewis and Clark and the Indian Country (September 28, 2005–January 14, 2006)
- Outspoken: Chicago’s Free Speech Tradition (October 1, 2004–January 15, 2005)
- Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend (September 30, 2003–January 17, 2004)
- Renaissance Dante in Print (1993–1994)
- Mapping the French Empire in North America (1991)
See Rights and Reproductions to order copies of images from the Newberry.
Other Sources of Images
Please note: This list does not constitute an endorsement of any business or individual by the Newberry or by any member of its staff. It is offered for convenience and informational purposes only.
- Art Institute of Chicago, (312) 499-4260
- Chicago History Museum, (312) 642-4600
- Chicago History Museum’s Chicago Daily News Archive
- Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center. Special Collections Department, (312) 747-4875
- Chicago Sun-Times, (800) 390-7269
- Culver Pictures, (212) 645-1672
- DuSable Museum of African-American History, (312) 947-0600
- Field Museum Photo Archives, (312) 665-7794
- Getty Images, (206) 925-5000
- Hedrich Blessing. Architectural images. (312) 491-1101
- Illinois State Archives Digital Collections (217) 785-5600
- Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division. (212) 287-6394
- National Archives. Still Picture Branch.
- National Portrait Gallery. Prints and Photographs Collection. (202) 633-8280
- New York Public Library. Photographic Services and Digital Gallery. (212) 930-0091
- Smithsonian Institution. Photographic Services. (202) 633-1933
- Spertus Institute Asher Library. (312) 322-1749
- Stock Montage. (includes images of some Newberry Library materials) (800) 404-0425
- Sulzer Regional Library. Ravenswood – Lakeview Historical Society Collection. (312) 744-7616
- University of Chicago. Regenstein Library Special Collections Department. (773) 702-8705
- University of Illinois at Chicago. Daley Library Special Collections Department. (312) 996-2742
- Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature. (312) 747-6900
Independent Image Researchers
Please note: This list does not constitute an endorsement of any business or individual by the Newberry Library or by any member of its staff. It is offered for convenience and informational purposes only.
- Armstrong-Johnston. (773) 852-8862, email@example.com.
- History Works, Inc. - Terry Fife. (312) 553-0300, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Image Resources - Carol Parden. (312) 223-0660, email@example.com.
- Information Diggers - Ginger Frere. (773) 458-3484, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emily Kelley. email@example.com.
- Kris Lipkowski. (773) 772-4110, firstname.lastname@example.org (email is preferred).