On October 19, 2011, the Newberry switched to online LDS film ordering. Online ordering gives you greater control over the ordering process and relieves you of the burden of contacting the Newberry in order to place or renew film orders. And you can order film from anywhere you have internet access.
To use the new system, you will need a Family Search account or an LDS account (if you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). Go to https://www.familysearch.org/films/ to login or to create a new account. Here you will be able to access information and help documents regarding on-line ordering.
The new system will require the use of a Visa or MasterCard debit card, credit card, or PayPal account. Discover Card and American Express will not be accepted. A PayPal account creates more security for an on-line purchase. You can find more about creating a PayPal account at: https://www.paypal.com/
The information available at FamilySearch.org/films will guide you in using the new system. The following information is what you need to know about the transition to the new system.
- The Newberry no longer orders films for patrons. Please do not send in new e-mail, mail, or telephone requests for film orders. New orders will not be accepted at the Genealogy Reference Desk.
- Genealogy reference staff will assist you in establishing a FamilySearch account and, as always, will assist you in locating the correct film numbers to order. It will then become your responsibility to order the films online.
- Short-term film rental will cost $5.50 and will be about a 90 day loan. A short-term renewal will extend the loan for an additional 60 days and cost $5.50. An extended loan rental will cost $13.75.
- Under this new system, a film can be ordered as an extended loan initially. Please note: 2 short-term renewals will no longer equal an extended loan. To extend a short-term film and make it an extended loan, you will have to pay for an extended loan renewal.
- All extended films you have at the Newberry Library will remain at the Library indefinitely at no additional cost.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 312-255-3512 or at email@example.com with any questions.