DCGS was founded in 1974 as the Lombard Suburban Genealogical Society. In May 1981 the Society moved its reference collection to the Wheaton Public Library helping it to become one of the premiere genealogical research locations of the Chicago suburbs. DCGS has continued to contribute to the genealogical collection over the years.
The mission of the Society is:
- To encourage the study of family history and genealogy,
- To encourage the identification and preservation of records having genealogical value, especially those of DuPage County, Illinois, and to make those records available to members and to the general public, and
- To cooperate with other societies and libraries to further the field of family history and genealogy.
Specific membership information can be obtained from the Society website. There are currently (2011) about 150 members of DCGS but others are always encouraged to join. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month September through May; except for December and February. The format of each meeting is: socialization with light refreshments from 6:30-7:00pm, a general society meeting from 7:00-7:30pm, and a presentation from 7:30-8:30pm given by an experienced genealogical lecturer. All meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.
Detailed education information can be obtained from the Society website. Classes, including live lectures and webinars, are presented in the Fall and Spring. All classes are presented at the Wheaton Public Library.
DCGS has a number of projects that are currently active. These projects involve activities supporting research in the areas of surnames, funeral homes, cemeteries, marriage licenses, and listings of genealogy reference materials.
Each year since 1975 the Society has presented a genealogical conference. This year’s conference, titled “Tracking Your Ancestors’ Footsteps”, was held on February 25, 2012 in St. Charles, Illinois. Featured speakers were: Paul Milner, Loretto (Lou) Szucs, Juliana Smith, Tony Burroughs, Jennifer Holik, and Maureen Brady. This all-day event had three simultaneous lectures covering twelve topics including: Finding Your English Ancestry, Searching Ancestry.com, Social Networking, The “New” Family Search, African American Genealogy, Getting Around the Great Chicago Fire. There were also exhibitors & vendors in attendance.
- DuPage County Genealogical Society website http://www.dcgs.org
- Twitter as @DuPageCountyGen
- Facebook group: DuPage County Genealogical Society
- Mailing address: DuPage County Genealogical Society, PO Box 3, Wheaton, IL 60187-0003
- Email addresses for DCGS Board members can be obtained from the DCGS website by selecting “Board”.
- General queries to DCGS can be made by accessing the DCGS website and selecting “Queries”.