Dressed with custom-built rich mahogany wood panels, spacious 24’ ceilings, recessed turn-of-the-century replica chandeliers and sconces, Ruggles Hall was restored in 2000, and is outfitted with large windows facing both Washington Square Park to the south and Dearborn Parkway to the east, reflecting the city lights of the Magnificent Mile. A fully maintained Steinway grand piano is available for use, and may grace a corner of the room. This space is ideal for lectures, concerts, slide presentations, cocktail parties, luncheons, sit-down dinners, benefits, and wedding receptions. The hall is a very comfortable space for up to 200 people for a sit-down presentation, and 250 people for a cocktail reception.
During the hours that our building is closed, Ruggles can be combined with our Lobby for greater cocktail capacity. On its own, Ruggles serves as a lovely event space with an open floor plan that can accommodate many different types of events. Clients are welcome to bring in customized lighting and other decor to dress the space to fit the event theme or company colors. Any of our exclusive caterers are welcome to work in this space; the Newberry can provide a list of suggested vendors upon request. With multiple lighting settings and simple touches of decor in the window alcoves, Ruggles is a stunning space for the most upscale of events and programs. Please see our pricing information here.
With your rental, the Newberry includes:
- Use of all our dinner, cocktail, high top, and 6’ tables, as well as our opera or padded chairs
- Use of our Steinway grand piano
- Perimeter decor, such as votive candles and lights in the corridors and staircase
- Parking for 30-35 cars behind the library, with a discount arrangement at a nearby garage for overflow cars
- Building security and a facilities representative on-site for the duration of your event
- An Events Office staff person who will work as a venue liaison and be present for the duration of your event
For an additional charge, the Newberry can provide A/V options for presentations and programs:
- WiFi access
- Computer, projector, and screen
- Microphones and speakers
- Facilities representative to work closely with your AV technician for set-up and troubleshooting