A Letter from the Chair
As chair of the Newberry’s Board of Trustees, I have the privilege of interacting with a wide variety of people in the Newberry community. From Annual Fund donors and Book Fair volunteers, to Blatchford Society members and Newberry Library Award recipients, I hear fascinating stories about how the Newberry has touched the lives of so many.
I am grateful for these stories, and even more thankful for the wonderful support the Newberry receives from those who cherish it. That support may come through donations of funds, books, materials for our collections, or time and expertise. Those who have been touched by the Newberry are able to give back, and in doing so they make a real and lasting impact on the future of this exceptional institution.
The value of a gift to the Newberry is multiplied significantly through the work that results from that support. The Newberry is an extraordinarily productive place for humanities scholarship. Three MacArthur Fellows have been Fellows at the Newberry, and the library has been a leading recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities for nearly four decades. Each year, the Newberry hosts numerous conferences, meetings, symposiums, and events focused on a broad array of humanities topics.
Some of the activities made possible by support from Annual Fund donors every fiscal year include
- assisting thousands of readers and other visitors with their research
- conserving thousands of books, maps, and other materials
- adding thousands of items to our online catalog
- responding to thousands of reference inquiries in person, online, and by telephone
- enrolling people in some 140 adult education seminars
- welcoming more than 50 Newberry Fellows from across the country and around the world
- presenting several exhibitions, always free and open to the public
My sincere thanks go to each of our many supporters. I encourage everyone to learn about the ways in which you can give back to the library. The Newberry is a unique and exciting place, and will remain so thanks to the dedication and loyalty of its friends.
Victoria J. Herget
Chair, Board of Trustees