2 - 4 pm
Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (by September 1): $210
Regular Price (after September 1): $231
This seminar is full. Please call (312) 255-3700 if you would like to be added to the wait list.
This six week seminar explores the chaos of World War II Italy and the literary movement that sprang from it: Neorealism. The new novel dealt with the politics of the time and portrayed in intimate terms the grim reality of daily Italian life under fascist oppression. We will read and discuss four significant novels and their impact at home and abroad. Six sessions.
Constance Markey holds a PhD in Italian literature and has taught and published extensively. She is retired from DePaul University where she was Head of the Italian Section.
- Bassani, Giorgio. The Garden of the Finzi-Contini. Trans. William Weaver. New York: Harcourt Brace, Inc., 1977. ISBN-13: 978-0156345705
- Levi, Carlo. Christ Stopped At Eboli. Trans. F. Frenaye. New York: Farrar, Strauss, Giroux, 2006. ISBN-13: 978-0374530099
- Moravia, Alberto. The Conformist. Trans. Tami Calliope. So. Royalton, Vermont: Steerforth, Press, 1999. ISBN-13: 978-1883642655
- Moravia, Alberto. Two Women. Trans. Angus Davidson. So. Royalton, Vermont: Steerforth Press, 2001. ISBN-13: 978-1586420208
- Note: This title is out of print.
- Please read Chapters 1-3 (or more) of Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi for the first class.