6 - 7:30 pm
Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (August 27 at 9 am** – September 13 at 4 pm): $230
Regular Registration Price (September 13 at 4 pm – first day of class): $253
** Registration opens online at 9 am. Phone registration will be accepted starting at 10 am.
Members, seniors, and students get a 10% discount.
The present moment in American theater is one of its richest and most exciting. In this discussion- and lecture-based seminar, we will examine this moment by considering the plays of Tony Kushner, Martyna Majok, Tracy Letts, Paula Vogel, Neil LaBute, and others. Controversial, progressive, and challenging, these plays are among the most riveting the American theater has produced. We will also examine the important role Chicago is currently playing in this exciting theatrical moment.
Eight sessions. E - $230, L - $253
Todd Bauer holds an MA in liberal studies from Northwestern University and is a playwright and director whose work has been staged in Chicago, New York, and at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
- Martyna Majok, Cost of Living. Theater Communications Corp, 2018. ISBN: 978-1559365970
- Paula Vogel, How I Learned to Drive. Any edition.
- Marsha Norman, Night Mother. Hill and Wang, 1983. ISBN: 374521387
- Tony Kushner, Angels in America. Theater Communication Group, 1983. ISBN: 159360615
- Neil Labute, Bash. The Overlook Press, 1999. ISBN: 1585670243
- Margaret Edson, Wit. Theater Communication Group, 2008. ISBN: 9781559363303
- John Patrick Shanley, Doubt. Any edition.
- Tracey Letts, August. Osage County. Any edition.
For the first class please read Paula Vogel’s How I Learned to Drive.