Updates Regarding COVID-19
Updated June 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
The Newberry will remain closed until further notice. We will continually monitor updates from public health officials as we prepare to ensure a safe environment for visitors in the Newberry’s reading rooms, exhibition galleries, and event spaces. Our highest priority is the health and safety of Newberry staff, researchers, and visitors.
In the meantime, here are a few updates regarding summer programming from the Newberry:
- Due to the current prohibition against large gatherings in Chicago, we will not be able to hold the 2020 Newberry Book Fair this summer.
- The Bughouse Square Debates will not take place in Washington Square Park this July, but we’re working with our partners to explore options for hosting the event online. Look for updates about “Virtual Bughouse” in the coming weeks.
- Adult Education Seminars also will be moving online this summer. The schedule of virtual classes is now available, and registration is open.
We regret the disruption of access to the library. But while we are closed, we’ll continue to support your research, teaching, and learning by providing free access to our collections and digital resources online. You can:
- Browse, study, and remix more than 1 million digital images from our collection online
- Consult our digital resources for students, teachers, and scholars
- Attend virtual public programs (information about upcoming events will be included in the Newberry e-news every Thursday)
- Join our corps of online volunteers and help transcribe letters and diaries from our archival collections
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions related to your research