The Newberry’s timeless elegance makes it an ideal location for a beautiful wedding celebration. We’re thrilled you’re considering it for your special occasion.
Tucked within the storied Gold Coast, the Newberry’s neighborhood features a charming tree-lined park and beautiful homes, while still just a few blocks from the pulse of downtown Chicago.
If you would like an outdoor option, you may fall in love with the park just across Walton St., as many of our visitors do; you are able to hold your ceremony in Washington Square Park with a permit from the Chicago Park District.
If you are considering having your ceremony here, we do charge a ceremony fee. This fee includes:
- Room set-up for ceremony (indoor only)
- Use of A/V equipment (lapel and/or cordless mics with stands and built-in sound system)
- An Events staff member to cue family and bridal party entrances
- An hour rehearsal on the day before
- An Events staff member to facilitate your ceremony rehearsal
The Newberry offers a standard six-hour event window for wedding events running from 6 pm – midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. On Sundays, we can adjust the event window for an earlier start time as our building is closed to the public.
Our venue fee includes:
- A six-hour event window for use of Newberry event spaces for ceremony, cocktails, and dinner with dancing
- Three hours prior to the even window and 1 hour following for all vendors to set-up and breakdown
- Use of Towner Fellows’ Lounge and other rooms as a “Wedding Suite” for finishing touches or “Wedding Couple Retreat” between ceremony and reception
- Use of all our dinner, cocktail, high top, and 6’ tables, as well as our opera or padded chairs
- Use of our Steinway grand piano
- Perimeter decor, such as votive candles and lights in the corridors and staircase
- Parking for 30-35 cars behind the library with a discount arrangement at a nearby garage for overflow cars
- Building security and a facilities representative on-site for the duration of your event
- An Events Office staff person who will work as a venue liaison and be present for the duration of your event
At the Newberry, we have a list of exclusive caterers available for you to choose from.
All of our caterers are BYOB-friendly. Aside from caterers, you are welcome to use any of our recommendations for vendors, but can also bring in others so long as they meet our license and insurance requirements and will comply with our guidelines.
Please explore our downloadable pdf brochure “Newberry Weddings” to become better acquainted with our spaces. Should you wish to see more, we have a great image collection or would love to have you come for a visit.