Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (August 7 at 10 am – August 31 at 4 pm): $210
Regular Registration Price (August 31 at 4 pm – first day of class): $231
Members, seniors, and students get a 10% discount.
Online registration is closed, but you can still register by phone. Please call (312) 255-3700 to do so.
Mark your Calendar!
The Newberry Bookstore will re-open on August 14, and you will once again be able to find most of your assigned books for sale there.
By now the longest reigning of British monarchs, Queen Elizabeth II has been in the public eye for nearly a century. Yet instead of a flesh-and-blood woman, what we tend to see is a carefully crafted image, representing a concept of modern monarchy. This seminar will trace the construction and curation of that image in the visual arts, popular media, fiction, and especially through the Queen’s inimitable style of dress.
Five sessions. E - $210, L - $231
Debra N. Mancoff, Newberry Scholar-in-Residence and author of Fashion Muse, The Face: Our Human Story, and Icons of Beauty: Art, Culture, and the Image of Women, writes on art, fashion, and culture.
- Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader, Picador, 2007. ISBN: 978-0312427641
- Peter Morgan, The Audience, Dramatist's Play Service, 2015. ISBN: 978-0822232667
- William Kuhn, Mrs. Queen takes the Train, Harper Perennial, 2012. ISBN: 978-0062208293
- Sue Townsend, The Queen and I, Soho Press, 1992. ISBN: 978-1569470152
- Sally Bedel Smith, Elizabeth the Queen: the Life of a Modern Monarch, Random House 2012. ISBN: 978-0812979794
There is no reading assignment for the first class.