Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (by February 10): $240
Regular Price (after February 10): $264
This seminar is full. Please call (312) 255-3700 to be added to the waitlist.
Stephen Sondheim is considered by many to be the most accomplished composer and lyricist to ever write for the American musical theater. This seminar will focus on songs from eight of Sondheim's masterpieces, including the dark and twisted Sweeny Todd, the dynamic and daring Into the Woods, and the uncluttered and affecting Passion. We will look at his dependence on the collaborative nature of musical theater and how he generated compositions, which would become classics, based on the specifics of a story, often at the eleventh hour. We will also examine his skill as a wordsmith, his love of puzzles, and his firm belief in the power of the perfect rhyme. Eight sessions.
Douglas Post is an award-winning playwright, composer, and lyricist whose works have been produced around the world. He has taught at Northwestern University, DePaul University, and Victory Gardens Theater. He currently serves on the faculty at Chicago Dramatists.
- Company. TCG Books, 1995. ISBN 978-1559361088
- Follies. TCG Books, 2011. ISBN 978-1559364171
- A Little Night Music. Applause Books, 2000. ISBN 978-1557830708
- Pacific Overtures. TCG Books, 1993. ISBN 978-1559360265
- Sweeney Todd. Applause Books, 2000. ISBN 978-1557830661
- Sunday in the Park with George. Applause Books, 2000. ISBN 978-1557830685
- Into the Woods. TCG Books, 1993. ISBN 978-0930452933
- Passion. TCG Books, 1994. 978-1559360883
- Please read Company by Stephen Sondheim and George Furth for the first class.