Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (by February 10): $200
Regular Price (after February 10): $220
Although originally performed by boy players in the Renaissance theater, Shakespeare’s female roles are rich, varied, flesh-and-blood characters that have captivated generations of play-goers. In this continuing seminar we will read, discuss, and view video performances of female characters from the Bard’s plays—Tamora (Titus Andronicus), Juliet (Romeo and Juliet), Emilia (Othello), Portia (The Merchant of Venice), and Margaret (Parts 1, 2, 3 Henry VI, Richard III)—focusing on their power, motivations, and the risks they take. Six sessions.
Note: "Six Shakespeare Heroines" was offered one year ago, in 2016. That seminar covered different characters and is not a prerequisite for this one.
John Nygro is a lecturer, actor, and musician in the Chicago area with a forty year career in the arts. His talks have been heard at universities, various arts organizations, and on radio.
A reading guide quoting each excerpt’s beginning and ending lines in the plays will be distributed by the seminar leader at the time of registration opening. Participants may read from a previously purchased edition or on-line source of the plays. If participants would like to purchase editions for this seminar:
- Titus Andronicus, The Oxford Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-0199536108
- Romeo and Juliet, The Arden Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-1903436912
- Othello , The Arden Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-1903436455
- The Merchant of Venice , The Arden Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-1903436813
- The First Part of Henry VI, The Oxford Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-0199537105
- The Second Part of Henry VI, The Oxford Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-0199537426
- The Third Part of Henry VI, The Oxford Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-0199537112
- Richard III, The Oxford Shakespeare, ISBN: 978-0199535880
Selections (details forthcoming) from The Oxford Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus, ISBN: 978-0199536108.