Cost and Registration Information
Note: The date class will not meet has changed.
Early Registration Price (by February 10): $230
Regular Price (after February 10): $253
British whodunnits, by writers such as Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, and American thrillers, by Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, still rivet readers from all walks of life. In this seminar we will read one mystery novel a week and discuss these examples from both countries in the context of the Interwar Period and World War II. This method will allow us to explore the role of popular culture in both exposing and containing societal anxieties and aspirations. Ten sessions.
Elzbieta Foeller-Pituch is Assistant Director of the Chabraja Center for Historical Studies at Northwestern University, where she also teaches literature.
- Agatha Christie, The Regatta Mystery and Other Short Stories. William Morrow, 2012. ISBN-13: 978-0062094407
- Agatha Christie, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. William Morrow, 2011. ISBN-13: 978-0062073563
- Agatha Christie, The Body in the Library. William Morrow, 2011. ISBN-13: 978-0062073617
- Dashiell Hammett, The Continental Op. Vintage, 1989. ISBN-13: 978-0679722588
- Dashiell Hammett, The Maltese Falcon. Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 1992. ISBN-13: 978-0679722649
- Dorothy Sayers, Whose Body? Dover, 2009. ISBN-13: 978-0486473628
- Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep. Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 1988. ISBN-13: 978-0394758282
- Margery Allingham, Death of a Ghost. Felony & Mayhem, 2007. ISBN-13: 978-1933397825
- Ngaio Marsh, Colour Scheme. Felony & Mayhem, 2013. ISBN-13: 978-1937384555
- Vera Caspary, Laura. The Feminist Press at CUNY, 2005. ISBN-13: 978-1558615052
- Agatha Christie, “Philomel Cottage” available online at: http://celine.klinghammer.free.fr/documents%20pdf/nouvelles/Philomel%20cottage.pdf
Please read the following Sherlock Holmes stories: "The Red-Headed League,""The Adventure of Silver Blaze," "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box," "The Adventure of the Crooked Man" and "The Adventure of the Naval Treaty,” available online at: http://www.sherlockian.net/canon/ for the first class.
This class is part of the Newberry’s Adult Education Seminars Program. Learn more about our registration procedures.