Cost and Registration Information
Early Registration Price (by May 19): $240
Regular Price (after May 19): $264
The time is ripe for both Baldwin and the writers who have taken up his torch. We’ll pair Baldwin’s Go Tell It on the Mountain and Notes of a Native Son with Eula Biss’s Notes from No Man’s Land, Baldwin’s The Fire Next Time with the fierce fire of Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Between the World and Me. In this way, with these brave and lyric writers, we’ll plumb America’s complicated racial heritage. Eight sessions.
Matt Laufer holds a PhD from Columbia University and has taught literature at Columbia, Barnard College, and various college preparatory schools. He has published articles on Nabokov, Melville, and Woolf.
- James Baldwin. Go Tell it on the Mountain, Vintage International, 978-0345806543
- James Baldwin. Notes of a Native Son, Beacon Press, 978-0807006238
- James Baldwin. The Fire Next Time, Vintage, 978-0679744726
- Eula Bliss. Notes from No-Man’s Land, Graywolf Press, 978-1555975180
- Ta-Nehisi Coates. Between the World and Me, Spiegel and Grau, 978-0812993547
- David Leeming. James Baldwin: A Biography, Arcade Publishing, 978-1628724387
Please read the first half of Baldwin's Go Tell It on the Mountain (1953) for the first class. Optional: chapters 1-7 in the Leeming biography.