Cost and Registration Information
This class has been cancelled.
Fed up with failed relationships that always end in anguish? Ever wonder why you can only appreciate your lover once they’re already gone? Look no further for sage advice on matters of the heart! Using lyric poetry, psychoanalysis, and Hollywood cinema, this course will examine the paradoxes of eros, shattering cliché notions of romance as transcendental and everlasting and leading us to postulate a counter-intuitive theory of “radical love.” Six sessions.
Harrison Sherrod is a local writer, curator, and educator, as well as the Executive Director of Pentimenti, a production company currently working on a 3D documentary about sculptor H.C. Westermann.
- Anne Carson - Eros, the Bittersweet. (Dalkey Archive Press, 1998). ISBN: 978-1564781888
- Octavio Paz - The Double Flame. (Mariner Press, 1996). ISBN: 978-0156003650
- Lauren Berlant - Desire/Love. (Punctum Books, 2012). ISBN: 978-0615686875
- Byung-Chul Han - The Agony of Eros. (The MIT Press, 2017). ISBN: 978-0262533379
- The instructor will send an article to be read for the first session closer to the seminar start date.
This class is part of the Newberry’s Adult Education Seminars Program. Learn more about our registration procedures.