Welcome to the Newberry’s Employment Opportunities page. Positions for which the Newberry is currently accepting applications are listed below. Positions will remain posted until filled or until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.
Unless otherwise directed in the job posting, please send cover letter and résumé to the Human Resources Director. When emailing, please combine cover letter and résumé as one Word or PDF document and submit that document as an email attachment.
Human Resources Director
The Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, IL 60610-7324
Fax: (312) 255-3509
No phone calls please.
In addition to accepting résumés for current vacancies, we keep a file of general and specific inquiries regarding employment at the Newberry. General inquiries should include a preference of position, department and hours (part-time or full-time.) Résumés are kept on file for six months.
We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Newberry.
The Newberry is an equal opportunity employer.
Department: Information Technology
Summary: The Web Manager and Developer will administer and maintain the infrastructure of all Newberry websites. This will include management of content, information architecture, and software updates. The Web Manager and Developer will also oversee the creation of new web services and the incorporation of new technologies, provide training in the use of the Content Management System, and work with others to coordinate and develop web content on a variety of hosted sites.
- With the Director of IT, maintain the web services infrastructure;
- Consider and make recommendations about website innovations and work with other staff, institutional partners, and web services vendors to implement changes;
- Advise and assist the Director of Communications and Editorial Services in the use of Newberry social media sites to meet general communications objectives;
- Work with the Director of Digital Initiatives and Services on the development of content and web services on externally hosted sites;
- Coordinate the integration of Newberry web resources and promote standards representing institution-wide perspectives and goals;
- Provide staff with the training, tools, and access to maintain Newberry websites;
- Create new website and web applications as needed;
- Assist staff in the development of website proposals.
- BA in information technology or related field;
- Quick thinking, attention to detail, and a willingness to learn;
- Professional attitude and clear communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide range of staff;
- Initiative to create and/or manage tasks and projects in a timely fashion;
- Basic social media and information architecture experience;
- Ability with PHP and one or more other programming languages (Python, DotNet etc.);
- Proficiency with Drupal, IID, Apache, and MySQL. Omeka and Scalar a plus.
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours hours/week. Exempt position.
Benefits: First year – health, dental, vision and group life insurance, fifteen vacation days, two personal days and paid holidays. After one year of service – twenty vacation days, long-term disability, long-term care, and retirement plan available.
Date Posted: September 26, 2017
Date Available: November 27, 2017