Welcome to the Newberry’s Employment Opportunities page. Positions for which the Newberry is currently accepting applications are listed below. Positions will remain posted until filled or until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.
Unless otherwise directed in the job posting, please send cover letter and résumé to the Human Resources Director. When emailing, please combine cover letter and résumé as one Word or PDF document and submit that document as an email attachment.
Human Resources Director
The Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, IL 60610-7324
Fax: (312) 255-3509
No phone calls please.
In addition to accepting résumés for current vacancies, we keep a file of general and specific inquiries regarding employment at the Newberry. General inquiries should include a preference of position, department and hours (part-time or full-time.) Résumés are kept on file for six months.
We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Newberry.
The Newberry is an equal opportunity employer.
Department: Reader Services
Summary: The Summer Library Assistant facilitates the public service of the Reading Room, including circulation, photoduplication, and book storage while maintaining the security and preservation of the collections.
- Page materials from the bookstack building;
- Serve as circulation desk attendant providing orientation, direction and assistance to a wide variety of readers;
- Provide surveillance of reading room, circulation control, and enforcement and interpretation of rules and regulations;
- Photocopy library materials;
- Handle all other tasks or activities needed for the achievement of departmental goals.
- Minimum two years of college with strong interest in the humanities preferred;
- Previous library and/or public service work experience;
- Commitment to providing high quality service;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to include communication with diverse library users and staff in person, by email, and by telephone;
- Ability to work effectively with others in a team environment;
- Ability to work quickly and accurately within a high level of activity and to sustain close attention to detail;
- Responsiveness to changing needs and priorities;
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work well with multiple complex call number systems;
- Physical strength, mobility and endurance required for paging materials with the ability to lift 50 pounds;
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications, especially MS Word.
Schedule: 12 week, temporary position working Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Position to start in early June.