Welcome to the Newberry’s Employment Opportunities page. Positions for which the Newberry is currently accepting applications are listed below. Positions will remain posted until filled or until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.
Unless otherwise directed in the job posting, please send cover letter and résumé to the Human Resources Director. When emailing, please combine cover letter and résumé as one Word or PDF document and submit that document as an email attachment.
Human Resources Director
The Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, IL 60610-7324
Fax: (312) 255-3509
No phone calls please.
In addition to accepting résumés for current vacancies, we keep a file of general and specific inquiries regarding employment at the Newberry. General inquiries should include a preference of position, department and hours (part-time or full-time.) Résumés are kept on file for six months.
We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Newberry.
The Newberry is an equal opportunity employer.
Division: Library Services
Summary: Reporting to the Vice President for Library Services, the Program Assistant provides administrative support to the Vice President and assists the Vice President and all Library Services departments with the implementation of Library Services activities and projects.
- Assist with preparation of and coordination of Library Services communications, activities, special projects and documentation;
- Conduct photocopying, filing, general clerical work and research support for the Library Services office or other library services departments;
- Assist with the administration of the exhibit loans, joint acquisitions, and other outgoing materials;
- Assist with the gathering and assembling of information for grant proposals, with the production of associated proposals and reports, and with the general administration of LS grants;
- Assist with Library Services orientation and outreach such as general publicity, conducting library visitor and group tours, and handling associated administrative logistics;
- Support library-wide coordination and collaboration, as needed, such as assistance with event displays (ad hoc mini-exhibits);
- Participate in the Art Advisory Committee. Assist with documentation of Newberry art and artifacts;
- Maintain records and documentation, policies and guidelines, minutes, and reports for the Library Services Office;
- Assist with implementation of special library projects and initiatives;
- Assist with tasks associated with cataloguing, processing, collection management, and digitization projects, as needed;
- Support the ongoing work of Library Services departments as needed (Collection Services, Conservation Services, Digital Initiatives and Services, Maps and Modern Manuscripts, and Reader Services);
- All other tasks or activities required for the achievement of Library Services goals.
- B.A. required with a strong background in the humanities or social sciences;
- Excellent interpersonal communication, problem solving, writing, and editing skills required;
- Strong computer skills required (e.g., competence with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access or other similar database, HTML, online catalog, internet research, and social media);
- Ability to handle diverse and changing responsibilities;
- Capacity for working both independently and as a team member;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with attention to detail;
- Library or cultural institution experience preferred.
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours/week, Monday through Friday, Non-exempt position.
Benefits: Group life, health, dental, and vision insurance; ten days vacation the first year, fifteen days thereafter; two personal days and six paid holidays annually; discount in bookstore; long term disability, long term care and TIAA-CREF retirement plan available after one year of service.
Date Posted: August 19, 2015
Date Available: Immediately