The Newberry collection is a portal to more than six centuries of human history in Western Europe and the Americas, from the Middle Ages to the present. If you’d like to use our collection in person, please note that the reading rooms are open by appointment only while we limit building capacity to promote social distancing. Learn about making an appointment for the reading rooms.
The Newberry welcomes readers who are at least 14 years old or in the ninth grade. All requests for Newberry materials are made through our online request system, Aeon. With the online request system you can:
- Submit requests automatically via links in our online catalog or via links in our finding aids
- Submit requests in advance of a visit to the library
- Submit orders for reproductions including digital scans of Newberry materials
- Track the status of each request
- Access detailed information about past requests
Follow the link below to register as a Newberry reader. You can complete the registration process in person in our Welcome Center, where library staff will issue you a reader’s card and give you a quick orientation.
The Newberry provides a range of digital resources including guides, image galleries and exhibitions, databases, and electronic journals.
The Newberry’s research centers sponsor consortia, seminars, workshops, and other programs.