Thousands of readers conduct research at the Newberry every year. Readers include scholars whose work requires use of rare primary sources in our core collections, genealogy researchers assembling their family trees, and those simply interested in learning more about a favorite subject in the humanities.
The Newberry welcomes readers who are at least 14 years old or in the ninth grade. All requests for Newberry materials are made through our online request system, Aeon. With the online request system you can:
- Submit requests automatically via links in our online catalog or via links in our finding aids
- Submit requests in advance of a visit to the library
- Submit orders for reproductions including digital scans of Newberry materials
- Track the status of each request
- Access detailed information about past requests
Please review our guidelines for using materials to prepare for your visit.
The Newberry provides a range of digital resources including guides, image galleries and exhibitions, databases, and electronic journals.
The Newberry’s research centers sponsor consortia, seminars, workshops, and other programs.