Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography

Gerhard Mercator and Antoine Lafréry. Double-cordiform world map. c.1550.
Gerhard Mercator and Antoine Lafréry. Double-cordiform world map. c.1550. Novacco 4F 7.

The Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography was founded in 1971 to advance knowledge of the history of cartography and to promote the use of the Newberry’s cartographic collections. Among the many programs it sponsors to achieve these goals are summer institutes and seminars, conferences, research fellowships, exhibitions, workshops for educators and public historians, and public lecture series. The center’s extensive publication programs include a series of books published by the University of Chicago Press as part of the center’s Kenneth Nebenzahl, Jr., Lectures in the History of Cartography, web-based publications, interpretive slide sets and virtual exhibits, exhibition catalogues, and its Mapline newsletter. The center hosts the monthly meetings of the Chicago Map Society, the oldest independent organization devoted to map appreciation in North America.

Contact the center’s Staff for more information.

Recent Events:

NEH 2014 Summer Institute: Mapping Nature across the Americas