Seminar Policies and Procedures
- For seminars meeting more than twice, tuition (less a 10% registration fee) is refundable until one day prior to the second class meeting; once a seminar has met a second time, no refund or credit can be given.
- For single or two-session seminars, tuition (less a 10% registration fee) is refundable until one day before the seminar begins; once the seminar has met, no refund or credit can be given.
- You may place initial requests for refunds over the phone, but we must receive the final request in writing before we can process your refund (email messages, to email@example.com, are sufficient).
- The Newberry parking lot is for permitted staff use only; visitors may not park in the lot.
- Limited metered parking is available on the street. Daytime and evening parking restrictions do apply, so be sure to read the posted signs.
- Parking garages are available in the neighborhood. The nearest parking garage is located at 100 West Chestnut Street (enter on Clark Street).
- Seminar room assignments are posted daily in multiple locations at the library. Class locations are subject to change, and these daily postings will reflect any such changes.Class names are also posted in front of the rooms.
- Entrance to seminar classrooms cannot be guaranteed any more than 30 minutes prior to your class start time. The classrooms are in high demand by other programs at the Newberry, and sometimes events are scheduled very tightly. If you arrive more than 30 minutes before a class, you can wait in our bookstore, exhibits, or in the Reader’s Lounge on our first floor.
- Most of our seminar rooms are located in the basement or on the first floor, but sometimes we have to schedule classes in rooms beyond our security kiost. If you are scheduled in one of these rooms, you will be asked to check all large handbags, backpacks, briefcases, overcoats, umbrellas, newspapers, cameras, food, and any other items the security officer deems necessary. Lockers are available on the first floor (lockers cost $.25; the quarter is returned when the locker is opened). This is a Newberry policy designed to protect our collections from theft and contamination.
- Instructors may assign books, course packets, or digital readings for seminars. A link to the materials list for your seminar will be provided in your confirmation email. Full materials lists are also included on all seminar schedule pages.
- Many required and suggested texts are available at the Newberry Bookstore. Please phone or send an email ahead of time to check on availability, or if you have any special requests: (312) 255-3520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Associates of the Newberry Library at the Author level ($100) and above receive a 10% discount on bookstore purchases.
First Day Procedures
- When you arrive for your first class meeting, please check in at the seminars table in the lobby.
- Newberry staff will direct you to your classroom.
Becoming a Newberry Reader
- In order to access the Newberry’s collections (which are free and open to the public), you’ll need to create an account in our online system, Aeon.
- You can do this online here, or you can come to the library during our reading room hours and get assistance from a librarian.
- To complete your registration and receive a reader’s card, you will need to provide a valid photo ID and proof or current home address.
- For more information, click here.
Food, Beverages, and Smoking
- Food and beverages are allowed in seminar rooms located in the basement and on the first floor.
- Water, coffee, and tea are allowed, in non-disposable, covered containers, in upstairs seminar rooms except room 401. No food or uncovered beverages are permitted beyond the security kiosk.
- We ask for your cooperation not only for housekeeping reasons but because crumbs and spilled drinks attract insects, which are a threat to our collections.
- The first floor Visitors’ Lounge offers vending machines and seating.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the library.