Dates and Deadlines
- The Newberry will begin accepting applications for all available fellowships on September 1.
- The deadline for Long-Term Fellowship applications is 11:59 PM CST on November 15.
- Recommenders have a ten-day grace period to submit their letter of recommendation; letters will not be accepted after November 25.
- The deadline for Short-Term Fellowship applications is 11:59 PM CST on December 15.
- Recommenders have a ten-day grace period to submit their letter of recommendation; letters will not be accepted after December 25.
- Long-term applicants will be notified of their status in late February/early March.
- Short-term applicants, including applicants for the École Nationale des Chartes Exchange Fellowship to travel to France, the Lawrence Lipking Fellowship, the Arthur and Lila Weinberg Fellowship, and the Weiss-Brown Publication Subvention, will be notified of their status in late April/early May.
- Fellowship recipients will be notified by email. Recipients have two weeks to accept or reject the award and confirm dates of residence. If fellowship awards are not accepted by the end of the two-week period, the award will be offered to an alternate.
- Fellowships awarded for the 2018-19 academic year must be continuous and should start after July 1, 2018 and conclude before June 30, 2019. Orientation sessions are typically held on the first and third Tuesday of each month (exceptions are made for holidays that fall on Tuesdays).
- Long-Term Fellowships of 4 or 5 months should occur primarily during the academic year, which we construe as September through May. Short-Term Fellowships may take place during any month.